Friday, January 16, 2015

Fixing past mistakes: The Belfry

I must admit that prior to last Friday I had not enjoyed the Belfry in Crossroads district of Kansas City. That's right! I had failed to make it to this bar in the first year that it has been around. There was a lot of noise about this little bar at 16th and Grand Avenue over the past year. The Kansas City Star wrote about a year ago about Celina Tio and the opening of this bar with quality beer, spirits, and food. If you have never heard of Celina Tio the world class chef click here. As of Friday, I have realized the error of my ways and just a taste of what I have been missing in the Crossroads district.

After a long day at work, I join some friends for some after dinner drinks. They suggested the Belfry because they were celebrating one year of their doors being open. I jumped at the chance.

It's not that I never wanted to go to the Belfry. I just never took the chance when it was open. I tried to show up once for brunch to find out that it wasn't open on Sundays. I have always heard positive things about the place, just never had a friend to go with me. Now that I have been there I am going to be pushing my friends to go. Maybe I should find more friends?

The reason I am really excited to go the Belfry again? Take a gander at the draft list and you might have a tiny idea.

Last Friday I got to have a really extraordinary and flavorful beer. You wouldn't be able to find this beer elsewhere because a brewery you might have heard of Jolly Pumpkin? They collaborated with Celina Tio and made Jolly Pumpkin Forgotten Takes of the Last Gypsy Blender Series 1 Volume 2. The name maybe a mouthful but the beer is so much more of a beautiful mouthful that just danced across my tongue. Drop what you are doing right now! Tell your boss that you are feeling under the weather. Tell them the only cure is a special serum and you have to go get it. I will write the prescription.

Besides that beer, I also had Bourbon County Stout on tap as well as some Cathedral Square Saint Jewbelation, a great sour. It was late and I was feeling some munchie food. Guess what?! Celina, who was there, personally recommend some awesome nachos with creamy cheese and good meat. And there is so much more!

This is why I decided to become a member of the Belfry Club. I got a etched glass that stays at the bar for me to drink out of while I am there. I got a pint glass, a bottle opener etched with my member number, and I will get deals and first dibs on events including beer dinners!

All of this is not to mention the amazing selection of whiskey behind the bar. I would recommend the smooth J Rieger whiskey... I am just saying.

I am going to be there soon, care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment