Friday, December 6, 2013

Trying new beers and celebrating differences!

First I want to thank America, for waking up out of a dark time 80 years ago yesterday. On December 5th, 1933, the United States of America repealed the 18th Amendment, ending more than 13 years of Prohibition, and legalizing the manufacture, transportation and sale of intoxicating liquors. I say we celebrate this anniversary by legally enjoying some beer with friends.

In my last post I spoke about Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Company and how the beer challenges drinkers to step outside of the commercialized, cheap, and "easy" beers that most people are used to. While I liked the beer and ranked it decently, I really enjoyed getting the feedback from those who read the post and shared their point of view on the beer.

 My friend Alan wrote this about his experience:

"I do not think of myself as a novice when it comes to good craft beer. This challenge is nothing more than a great marketing tool used to sell an "ok" beer. The challenge worked. I bought the beer then when I didn't particularly like it, I questioned myself. Then bought more! Just to reconfirm my original judgement."

I really liked this comment, not because I agree with him. I liked what Alan said because he not only tried the beer, but he went out on a limb to do so. Sure he didn't like the beer but the confidence that he had to try new things so that he can find something he likes really impresses me. I know that Alan is going to go out and find another beer he does like.

The amazing part about beer is that there are SO MANY possibilities with variety and style. Each of us experiences the same beer differently, whether that's only slightly, or have, as Alan and I did, completely different experiences. I would love to hear about beers you have tried and didn't like or beers that were the most amazing thing you have ever tasted, and everything in between.

This is why I challenge you to go out and find a beer tonight or tomorrow night. Drink the beer and tell me about it. Tell me what beer it was. Did you like it? What did you like about it? What did you not like about it?


A popular rating system from Beeradvocate, has some good things to look for and keep in mind when tasting beer.

My favorite thing to do is to go to a brewpub like McCoy's in Westport, 75th Street in Waldo, similar places. I order their sampler and try each beer. After finishing those small beers, I order a pint(or more) of my favorite one of the bunch. While I don't review these beers, I really have fun talking about them with friends and family that I am with. Above is Square One Brewery in St Louis. Great food and amazing beer. Good place for a brunch on the patio. The picture with the fries and Sporting Kansas City flag is Haus in Martini Corner. These are just a few of the numerous spots around town that are amazing to try new beers, and I am always looking for more places.

So go out this weekend and try a new beer and tell me about it.

Coming up is a review Santa Fe's Saison 88, and the start to our vocabulary lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment