Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Humboldt Hemp Ale... It's not what you think!

I will be honest and admit that I got Humboldt Brown Ale solely for the novelty of an ale brewed with hemp. Just to prevent the question, after drinking this beer I did not want Cheetos or some brownies.

This beer poured like a dark soda, a dark brown. As with a lot of brown ales, I smelled the mildly roasted malts. The brown ale had medium body feel, which really just means that it is not crisp like some lighter beers and it doesn't coat my mouth like a thick oatmeal stout.

When I first took a drink of this beer, the first thing that came to mind was that I was whelmed. "I know you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed? I think you can in Europe." (If you know what that is from you can't make fun of me, and if you don't... don't worry.) This beer just had absolutely nothing that stuck out to me, good or bad. It was drinkable and I didn't immediately want to spit it out. On the flip side, there was nothing remarkable or noteworthy about this beer. (Ironic because I took notes and I am writing a post about it.) If I was worried about calorie intake or, more likely for me, wanting to taste ever better beer, I would pick a lot beer over this one.

Humboldt Brewing Company is out of a northern Californian city named coincidentally Humboldt.  The brewery was founded in 1987 as a microbrewery. Unfortunately, their website didn't have a lot of helpful information about the brewery itself. However if you want to find this beer or any of their other beers please feel free to do so, here. If you like their beer, please help me find what I am missing.

I would give this beer a disappointing 4 out of 10.

Next time I will tell you about a really fun beer event I went to recent at the Foundry in Westport.

No comments:

Post a Comment