Thursday, November 14, 2013

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

I went out last Saturday night to a few bars with some friends and I couldn't decide what I wanted to drink at a particular bar that had quite a few taps. If you know me, I know you are shocked but sometimes this is a dilemma for me as I will take a long time considering what beer I will choose, not wanting to pick the wrong beer. Coming up with a way to make this easier for me might be a topic for another post.

Anyway, my choice last Saturday night was made easy when a friend Amy asked for a Sam Adams stout and the bartender said they didn't have the beer. He then suggested for her to try another beer, a Southern Tier Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout. Amy was kind enough to let others in our group try her beer, including me. I was so floored by the sip I had, that I had to get a glass of my own to get a full appreciation for the beer.

This beer pours with a deep black hue with brown frothy head on top. You can immediately smell the vanilla and the sugar that makes you think of a desert. With the first sip, most wouldn't know that this beer was a beer, because the common beer characteristics of bitterness and hoppiness weren't present. Any bitterness tasted like a coffee that would get from Starbucks. Think a creme brulee mocha frappuccino exchanging the caffeine with alcohol.

Whenever I look at a menu of beer and read the words imperial milk stout, I hesitate to order the beer as I feel sometimes a stout can be a meal by itself. This beer will make me reevaluate this preconception and I might drink more stouts in the future.

I would give this beer a 9 out of 10.

For those wondering Southern Tier Brewery is located in Lakeland, New York just outside Syracuse. Operating since 2002, Southern Tier has expanded steadily due to an increasing demand for their quality craft beers. You can usually find these beers in most beer coolers and bar taps that have more than six taps.



What has been the craziest beer you have had? Either by name or taste. I might have to try a few of them.

My next post will be about deciding what a craft beer is and who can make a craft beer.

The next beer I review will be Founder's Breakfast Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment