Monday, December 2, 2013

Arrogant Bastard Ale: A beer named after me and a challenge

I found this beer when I didn't know exactly I was looking for. I was pacing the beer isle in a liquor store and I happen to see a bottle that had a challenge to me as a beer drinker. Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing Company with a winged demon holding a tall mug of beer and this demon challenged me by saying I wasn't worthy. The side of the bottle went on to say:

"...It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this... "

Here is the rest of the bottle.



This beer spoke to me and challenged my status quo and I jumped on the opportunity to prove to the inanimate object that I not only was worthy to drink the beer but that I am the Beer Master!

The beer poured smooth, dark mahogany, and clear. The smell was like a caramelized sweetness, even though I could tell that it had a bitterness that I would associate with an IPA. When I tasted this beer the balance between the sweet maltiness and the bitter hops of this beer struck me. It was really good and the flavors mellowed as the beer warmed (the bottle is 22 oz.). This is beer is really good but like the bottle suggests if you are new to craft beer this beer may be out of your league. If I were a novice, I would personally take that as challenge to become more experienced.

Stone Brewing Company, from San Marcos, California, rolled its first keg (half barrel) out in July of 1996, and are projected 17 years later to produce more than 210,000 barrels of beer. This brewery knows its stuff and are going to make what it thinks is good beer, not worrying about pleasing the masses.

I give this beer an 8 out of 10.

Check out my new beer review page. This will have links to each of my reviews, ratings, and eventually links to help you find where to buy the reviewed beer.

Upcoming posts will include a review of Santa Fe Saison 88, a discussion on trying new beers, and the beginning of a vocabulary lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment