Thursday, May 1, 2014

Parkville Microbrew Fest

I didn't know what to expect, driving through Downtown Parkville with clouds clearing from the morning rains, while the grounds of the imminent beer fest were obscured by a long freight train. Once the train past, C and I were finally able to cross the tracks and see English Landing Park. After we parked and handed over our tickets in exchange for small tasting glasses, we walked up to the pavilion to see really small people playing classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. These little people were actually kids between the age 11 to 15 just jamming out to so really awesome songs that my father and I bobbing our heads to the beat. The School of Rock, this band of kids, was skillful and showed potential for greatness. These kids, while pretty good, were just a pastime while we waited for the main event.

As the time for the beer fest approached there was a definite feeling like we were shoppers camped out at a Black Friday sale and we might have to politely throw some bows to get to the brewery tents set up in a field that could easily hold a football game(whichever style of football you prefer). When the caution tape separating the crowd from the tents was cut, each person, armed with a small tasting glass, rushed the field to find the beer they wanted from their favorite brewery.

Who has two beers and huge smile?
If you are anything like C, you had a written list of all the beers and breweries you wanted to go try. You even thought of the priorities of each tasting and how long you would want to wait in line for a taste. She literally had a check list and pen ready to mark off each beer she tasted and was ready to find each tent she wanted to go to.

Me on the other hand? I was more of the opinion, "All your beers belong to me!"

I surveyed the field as C efficiently got her bearings and found the first tent she wanted to go to. From the start we worked the tents, identifying beers and breweries that we haven't had before, would like to try, or don't get in this area.

We tried great beers like:

These were just the highlights and best beers I tasted! I had quite a few more and still others I didn't get to try! For a complete listing of beers check out the Parkville Microbrew Fest or if you prefer the list of breweries.


Once we got our priority beers and breweries, started hitting the tents that interested us and we also tried to meet as many people as we could. We got to meet KC Hoptalk and his lovely wife. We rubbed elbows with men and women of Missouri Mashers, KC Nanobrew, and Lawrence Brewers Guild, all of whom have the guts to brew their own beer and bring it for others to enjoy - and people did just that! We got to talk with the brewers and staff of Rock and Run Brewery and Mother's. And I always like when I get a chance to chat with the great people at Central States Beverage.

But that is enough about people I know and met. There were SO many people there that I didn't know and didn't get to meet. From what I remember and the pictures I saw everyone had a great time! Don't believe me? Take a look at the KC Star's Mingle gallery.

I am going to a few other beer fests this summer including Boulevardia and KC Nanobrew Fest. I am looking into KC Beer Fest in September and Westport Beerfest in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment