Saturday, February 8, 2014

Being nice pays off!

Awhile back I went looking for some specific beers at a few area stores. I was out a Lukas Liquor near 135th and State Line. I wanted two specific beers (Stone's Enjoy by 2.14.14 and Santa Fe's limited release Single Barrel Sour Ale), and I wasn't quite sure where they would be. I looked around a bit, but then I asked a guy stocking the shelves. This guy may or may not have fit a stereotype that I hold but that is beside the point. The guy set down what he was doing, and talked to me for a moment while he thought of where the beer could be. He thought he might be out of the Sour Ale and knew that Stone's beer was only distributed to the Kansas side of State Line. He told me to hang on for a minute. The man went into the back and not only found his last bottle of the Sour Ale, but also came back with another beer I might like. (That beer was then featured at Bier Station in the East Waldo area.) He also gave me some suggestions to where Enjoy by could be found. You might be saying that this is just regular customer service and he was doing what he should have done. This is true, but the extra mile he went while we talked in getting to know me and talking about our passion for beer showed me that he knew his stuff.

I frequent a local liquor store, Gomer's in Lee's Summit enough to be known as a regular and they know the kind of beer I usually look for. Now before you go all judging me for be regular at a liquor store, they have weekly wine and beer tastings that afford me the opportunity to chat with the owners and employees. It also helps that my parents have a dog the store has become attached to. Either way I have made some friends with them and they love talk about beer with me. We will talk about flavor profiles, to age a beer or not. I have even been able to help them find new beers. If they know a unique or rare beer is coming in, they will hold it back for me.

Moral of the story is being nice and personable with people, and they will go the extra mile for you because they want not because they have to.

I am just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment