Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Founder's Backwoods Bastard

One cold night I pop the cap on another bastard beer from Founder's Brewing Company. This one is Backwoods Bastard. This winter seasonal release comes out around November and I was looking for something different. Well I found it. At 10.2%, Backwoods Bastard is sold in four packs and is one to pick up to drink over a few winter nights.

When I poured the beer into glass, it was a very dark red brown color, like a chocolate diamond with a hint of red. The head of the beer was foamy and thick but eventually subsided. As I drank the beer the head left lines with each drink, forming a ladder down the glass. I could smell the bourbon as I took my first sniff and I even caught a little smokiness reminding me of a campfire.

Backwoods bastard has a potent bourbon flavor with some hints of oakiness to it, fitting as it was aged in oak bourbon barrels. I was able to get a little vanilla and caramel with each sip especially as it warmed up. When I first tasted the beer, it was a fresh out of the fridge and I got a punch in the face with the booziness, but as the beer warmed up that definitely mellowed and rounded out. This is a full bodied beer that reminded me of cream soda. I suggest that you drink this beer after letting it sit out of the refrigerator for a little while.

I really like this beer and I would suggest it for you on during your next Thanksgiving weekend.

I give this beer a 7.5 out 10.

For more from Founder's, here is their Breakfast Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment