Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Founders Breakfast Stout

Some of you out there asked me to take a look at Founder's Breakfast Stout. So here it is!

I got this beer as I went to hang out with some of the guys. I didn't really know what to expect from a beer called a 'breakfast stout.' I found out quickly what it means when I opened the bottle and poured it into my glass. The beer poured very creamy, which looked like a black tomato soup. When I took a whiff of the beer, I couldn't quite place the smell right away. After a couple sips, I realized that I was being reminded of old school oatmeal. I felt like I had taken a bowl of oatmeal with the flavors of chocolate and coffee from the roasted malts it into a beer without all the chunks. The beer is not even really filling, especially for a oatmeal stout. All these flavors came together awesomely.

Next time I feel that I might take the beer out of the fridge for a little bit before I open it so the flavor profile might change and improve. I will let you know how that goes. 

There is one drawback. This beer is around $10 per four pack. This is a little steep but I think it is worth it for a great beer that tastes great. I would definitely keep an eye out for this beer in a liquor store near you.

I would give this beer an 8 out 10.

Founders Brewing company started in 1997 as Canal Brewing company in Grand Rapids, MI. Their early bottles had a the word Founders on it referring to the original breweries on Canal Street (now Monroe Avenue) in Grand Rapids. They soon became known as Founders Brewing company instead. As of 2013 Founders is in 25 states and is according to the Brewers Association, 30th largest craft brewer in the US and 41st overall.

After having this beer, I will be trying a lot more of Founder's beers such as Backwards Bastard (that is not the only beer named bastard out there).

No comments:

Post a Comment