Thursday, November 21, 2013

What is a craft beer?: Part II: Artistry in a glass

In my last post I told you what craft beer isn't and that it shouldn't matter to you who makes the beer as long as it tastes good.

A few of my friends asked me if that definition says what craft beer is not then what IS craft beer? I had to think about this for awhile and this actually became a deep thought. (Right now I can hear my father saying ""Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy".)

The best way for me to figure this out was to define the qualities that I find in common with beers that I consider to be craft beers.

  • Quality
    • A beer should be made with quality ingredients
    • With the first drink a "Wow!" should be possible
    • When drinking a beer I shouldn't feel like I am drinking flavored water. 
  • Innovative
    • Each beer I have should bring something new to the table
    • This could be how the beer feels in my mouth, the aroma, or even just the taste should be unique
  • Seductive
    • I am still talking about beer, and not a woman in this case.
    • A beer should always leave me wanting more (Kind of like a woman)
      • Not to get drunk, but to keep me coming back
This to me are the qualities of a craft beer. Craft beer is all about the flavors, aroma, and experience. When drinking a craft beer, I love to take my time and enjoy unique profile of the beer. Beer to me is an art form. Some pieces of art are better than others. But I will appreciate the art, like some would appreciate a painting or sculpture. When it comes to beer, I have been called an elitist, particular, and even a beer snob.

Frankly, I am okay with these terms. Not that I look down on other beers (I do sometimes but that mostly to make fun of my friends). No, I am not going to settle and I will always look for the best beers I can. I get excited to walk into a bar or liquor store to find a new beer to try. This leads to me finding new beers from different areas, with different stories, profiles, ingredients, and experiences. This is why I don't drink the run of the mill, vanilla style beers of the masses.


This sampler of beer is from Flat Branch Brewery in Columbia, MO. If you are in the area, you should make a stop because the beer is wonderful and the food is a close second to the beer. 

Next time I will review Founder's Breakfast Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment