Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Manifesto

Every beer has some combination of grain, hops, yeast, and water. This is true for every type of beer from the mass produced Bud Light and Miller Lights to the small batch brews that people will make in the comfort of their own home. When I have a nice cold brew in front of me I really like finding the differences that develop the spectrum of colors, flavors, and aromas.With this blog, I am going to explore the all of these beers, the jargon of the industry/science of brewing beer, and other topics that come to mind and inspire my fingers to move across the keyboard. My endgame of my ranting would to be help others find new beers to try, breaking preconceived notions of what 'good' beer is and is not. I want to help people find an appreciation and understanding of craft beers.

I will start with a simple concept but one that is not very well known. All beers fall within two categories; ales and lagers. Every style of beer can trace it's attributes to either one of these archetypes. Here are a few of the different styles of beers out there.

  • Amber Ale
  • American Double / Imperial IPA
  • American IPA
  • American Pale Ale (APA)
  • American Porter
  • American Stout
  • Lambic
  • Saison / Farmhouse Ale
  • Tripel
  • Witbier
  • English Brown Ale
  • India Pale Ale (IPA)
  • Porter
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Hefeweizen
  • Kölsch
  • Irish Red Ale
  • Scottish Ales
  • American Lager
  • American Adjunct Lager
  • American Amber Lager
  • American Pilsner
  • American Malt Liquor
  • American Pale Lager
  • Light Lager
  • Czech Pilsener
  • Bock
  • Doppelbock
  • Eisbock
  • German Pilsener
  • Maibock / Helles Bock
  • Oktoberfest

Most people in this country keep only to one style that being the American Adjunct Lager (i.e. Bud Light and Miller Lite). 

In a country that calls its self the land of the free, we certainly seem to be slaves to Big Beer producers and afraid to step outside of the norm and try the lesser known beer. 

So join me on my journey through the world of beer. Or if you are too scared you can live vicariously through me.

I am just saying... 

No comments:

Post a Comment