Tuesday, April 8, 2014

BD's Mongolian BQQ, A Craft Beer Haven?

With Mother's Day coming up and yesterday being my mother's birthday, I know that I need to find a place to find good beer. My mother really enjoys a good IPA or really just trying new beers. Now I just need to figure out where to take her for a birthday beer soon!

I could take her to Bier Station in the Waldo area. They have an ever changing yet amazing selection of on-tap beers, not to mention their wide selection of packaged beer. If you haven't been there you should definitely go! They have good food, good people, and even board games to play while you are trying the great beer.

I know my mother likes Martin City Brewery and I am going to go there to review it soon. I hear great things about the craft beer and the pizza.

Yet when people think about establishments to enjoy a good craft beer (and up until recently this was true for me), they seldom think of a place like BD's Mongolian BBQ. A while back I went to BD's Mongolian BBQ for dinner with C. We did as we normally do, picking out meats, veggies, spices, and sauces to be cooked on a huge cast iron heating surface and pushed around by long metal sticks by white guys who have been to one too many hibachi restaurants. What I failed to notice until it was too late was a bar section that was separated from the rest of the establishment by a row of booths and a floor to ceiling window wall with a weird web diagram with nothing on it. This was the view from the grill side. I then walked into the bar section. That web diagram above a few booths was a beer style guide splitting each style of beer so that someone could trace their beer back to the two overarching styles of Ale and Lagers.

My eyes then tracked right to find a chalkboard covered in writing and as I read the board I found it full of 50 different beers all on tap. I then found out they have an extensive bottle cooler as well. I obviously had to come back and try place out a couple weeks later. This was about the time that Boulevard came out with Foeder Projekt #1. C and I were able to get this beer without even a wait despite being a limited release. We also met Josh, a really cool bartender in the Taproom. You should check out Josh on Twitter and he will let you know whats going on at BDs.

Since my mother picked a different restaurant for her birthday dinner, I can take her to BDs for drinks in the very near future. I went last night after dinner to take these pictures and as you can see they have a very wide selection from Boulevard Wheat to little known beers or even hard to find beers. They get a lot of different breweries.
  • Stone
  • Southern Tier
  • Deschutes
  • Anchor
  • Mothers
  • Tallgrass
  • Left Hand
  • 4 Hand
  • Founders
  • Summit
  • Avery
  • New Belgium
  • Flying Monkey
  • Boulevard
  • New Holland


And that is just what is on tap as of last night. Last I saw they have Boulevard Chocolate Ale on tap, so if you are looking for that you might want to head up there.

Here is a look at their bottle selection. When you go there, because lets face it now you kind of have to with this selection, feel free to walk back into the cooler and peruse the assortment of brews. Who knew that a place like BDs was a craft beer haven?

Treat your mother right this spring and take her to a nice place where she doesn't have to make sacrifices of taste because she has sacrificed a lot for you over the years! Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful Moms out there and Happy Birthday my Mom!

PS Here is a book that I remember my mother reading to me as a child. It still gets me all verklempt.

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

No comments:

Post a Comment