Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Advent Calendar Day 10: Sierra Nevade Narwhal

The Unicorn of the Sea
Sierra Nevada is known around this area for their hop forward pale ale. What I have learned while enjoying their beers recently, is that Sierra Nevada actually got it's start in Chico, California in the shadow of the breweries namesake mountains. Interestingly enough, Sierra Nevada started with a stout, not their pale ale. So when 999 out of 1,000 beer drinkers were drinking their father's beer, Budweiser, Ken Grossman made a style of beer that was darker than, and to some as intimidating as the Sierra Nevada's themselves. I really enjoyed reading the story about Sierra Nevada's start.

For tonight's beer I opened the Sierra Nevada Narwhal. There has been a lot of hype and I wanted part of my Advent journey to include this beer. The Narwhal, in reality and nature, is a large mammal similar to a whale or dolphin, except for one distinct feature, a tusk. This tusk comes out of the creatures head like a unicorn's horn. It is very intriguing and a unique animal.

The Sierra Nevada Narwhal is an Imperial Stout, whose menacingly pitch black color and strong roasted aroma tempts me to drink all of them. The char and espresso flavors from the beer awaken the taste buds, bringing complex yet harmonious flavors. I actually ate a slightly warmed brownie to pair with the coco flavors. This beer washed the sticky melted chocolate down my throat with a nice finish.

This one warmed up my night! Now I am curious how much the Bourbon barrel added to the beer in that release.

10 down... 14 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment