Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Advent Calendar Day 17: Anchorage Brewing Calabaza Boreal and Christmas Movies

Every household may or may not have traditions or rituals that accompany the holiday season. Growing up for my sister and I, Thanksgiving and Christmas meant a deluge of family favorite movies. Classics such as Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, and as I just watched, White Christmas. For me Christmas is Count Your Blessings, Zuzu's Petals, and the United States Postal Service proving the existence Santa Claus. For me Christmas is singing along and quoting these movies with my family. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may shed a tear when George Bailey exclaims, "Merry Christmas you 'ole Building and Loan!". I cannot deny that I get a little verklempt when during the surprise for General Waverly. Sharing this time and these emotions with family and loved ones is very important to me.

As I sit here watching movies of my childhood, I also take the time to try something new. Anchorage Brewing collaborated with Jolly Pumpkin to make a beer. These two breweries are kind of new to me so I wanted to try something from both of them. I picked up this beer and saw that it was made with grapefruit peels and juice. As I turn the bottle to read I notice the words Brett, Saison, and Oro de Calabaza. Brett and Saison immediately caught my attention, intriguing my taste buds. I am huge fan of saisons and Brettanomyces is always a good thing to try out and hit your palate with. I am not going to lie. I had to look up Oro de Calabaza and I found that it is a beer that Jolly Pumpkin makes and that I will have to try. This beer pours light and clear. There is a little bit of white head. 

BOTTLE CONDITIONING WARNING: For those of you who don't know this beer is bottle conditioned. What that means is that some of the yeast is left in the bottle and sugar is added during the bottling process. This carbonates the beer naturally, but also leaves sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Your first pour will be clear, but as you near the bottom you will start to get cloudier beer. I personally like the differences.

The Brett and Saison yeasts give the beer spice and tartness that harmoniously collide with the grapefruit flavors in this beer. Some describe Brett as a horse blanket, however this beer is a good illustration of the fact that Brett is naturally found on fruits. The citrus really accentuates the familiar and awesome Brett charateristics. Calabaza Boreal is a very delightful beer that will ultimately make me a poor man as I look to find more Anchorage and Jolly Pumpkin beers.

17 down... 7 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment