Saturday, December 13, 2014

Advent Calendar Day 13: Founder's Dark Penance

Your sense of smell can play tricks on you. Especially when you think you know what beer styles are supposed to smell, taste, and look like. If you show me a dark beer, I would expect dark roasted malty flavors with chocolate, coffee, other spices. Hand me a light colored beer and I will anticipate typical hop profiles with bitterness and citrus flavors.

Scout doesn't care for beer buy his coat is the same color as Dark Penance from Founder's.

Dark Penance is an Imperial Black IPA. This beer is an example of a style breaker. Founder's makes this beer as dark as Breakfast Stout and as hoppy as Centennial IPA. Dark Penance is deceptively light but still has the roasted malt flavors that would be necessary to turn the beer dark. 

I like this beer and enjoy the tricks that it plays on my senses. 

13 down... 11 to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment