Monday, December 22, 2014

Advent Calendar Day 22: Monks' Tripel, Hype, and a Backup Plan

Tonight I have decided open a beer I got on my trip to Denver. I have opened Monks' Tripel by Abbey Beverage Company out of New Mexico. I was expecting a intense Belgian flavor reminiscent of the quality Trappist beers that the label seems to suggest. Pouring this beer, out came a light orange colored beer with a little white head. Unfortunately the aroma and flavor on this beer is very unassuming and less than complex. I bought this beer on the behest of a liquor store in Denver. I am slightly disappointed, though the beer is not horrible and would be a good yard beer... you know if you had wanted to drink a 750 mL of it. Oh and its a 9.25 ABV, so it would be a good day working on the yard.

However I have to examine my expectations. Were they influence by the guy at the store? Were they ballooned by the fact that I was like a kid in candy store at this liquor store? I was really excited by all the beer I had never seen before. Or maybe it was the fact that I was in a situation that doesn't happen very often, going to with opportunity and intent of finding a wide variety of beer I have yet to try. This begs to ask the question, what is the origin of "hype"? With recent socially perceived issues surrounding a release by Boulevard, there was widespread discussion about expectations, valid expectations, and the failure to meet those expectations. On one side, there are those that would contend that a brewery that fancies itself as a craft brewer should always push the envelope or brew complex beers at every step of the way. Those of us who like to evangelize beer or encourage non-craft beer drinkers to try new and especially not intimidating beers. Well the hype around the last beer, really showed the unwillingness of individuals to accept a brilliant marketing strategy and ultimately a spur of the moment brew paying homage to a local sports team.

Whenever I have a disappointing beer, I go get a second and safe bet beer. In this case I got Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. This stout has a quality that can't be beat! Very smooth and full of flavor. I really enjoy the nose and mouthfeel of this one. Tonight, Ten Fidy was like having Aaron Rodgers backing up Matt Cassel. Not the best idea... Oh well! You live and you learn!

22 down... 2 to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment